Monday, December 5, 2011

Study being done on undersea tunnel to link JB and Singapore

A study is being done on the feasibility of constructing an undersea tunnel to link Singapore and Malaysia. Iskandar Regional Development Authority chief executive officer Ismail Ibrahim said the tunnel was likely to be about 1km long, slightly shorter than the Causeway.

It's about time, hopefully there'll be more ways to cross between SG & Johor. I think this is important to prepare for the influx of tourists into Iskandar once Legoland and other attractions open in 2012.

Study being done on undersea tunnel to link JB and Singapore

3 comments:

  1. You are right about needing to increase capacity. There is no way they can do a tunnel by 2012 (I would sure bet against it anyway). I can't really understand why a tunnel. I will cost a fortune. Given that there is already a causeway just tripling that capacity (of course you have to greatly increase capacity to move people through customs also) by adding bridge capacity seems way easier. I heard one or two things about issues with obstructions on land now (I guess on the Singapore side), I can't imagine what would be so costly to move that digging a tunnel would make sense.

    If you have no causeway now and wanted ships to go by then maybe underwater tunnel (even with large cost) could make sense. There must be some reason it is at least worth considering but I don't understand it from anything I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Curiouscat,

    I don't see this happening for 2012 either. Whatever it is, let's hope that they will increase the causeway capacity in anticipation of influx of tourists from SG next year :)

    Cheers,
    erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. the study to be completed in 2012. not the tunnel

    ReplyDelete